Wednesday, 16 December 2009

So Many Little Shoes




From the black and white picture,
I will never forget.
The Angel haired girl,
standing out from the rest.
Her innocent face,
looking so out of place.
All down to a question of race.
What happened my darling,
where do you rest,
did you shower with your mummy,
or were you saved for the test ?
"Arbeit Macht Frei" 
said only in jest.
Did you friends turn against you,
Why, what did you do?
Forced to leave forever,
the only life that you knew.
All you held dear,
overnight disappeared.
What were they doing,
why were you there?
Men, to the left. 
Women, to the right.
Pretty face so confused.
Eyes wide,
with fright
"What's happening Mummy?"
You had not a clue.
To me, you were beautiful.
To them,just a Jew..

So many questions.
Yet nothing to do,
but to remember forever,
those thousands of shoes.
Once belonging to people,
just like you and I,
taken away by the call of
 "Sieg Heil"

2 comments:

  1. I originally posted this on my main blog if you would like to read the comments please click on the link below http://rujon.blogspot.com/2009/09/so-many-little-shoes.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was honestly moved by this, by its theme and the disarming simplicity in your approach. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete